Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dog Days

I think it's only appropriate to give a shout out to my sweet dog, Sadie - my first born.  Plus, I have a free moment since I think my kid is eating dog food with Sadie as I type.

Poor Sadie definitely got the back burner when I first brought Carson home.  In fact, I left her at my father-in-law's house for almost two weeks from when I came home from the hospital.  I was in such a daze, I probably would've forgotten about Sadie, but my father-in-law has a male dog, and Sadie went into heat, and had to come home.  Once I had a dramatic meltdown on the phone with my husband, crying, "I can't handle two in diapers!", we had her fixed.  Phew.

Anyways, I had prepped "the meeting" between Sadie and Carson for months prior to Carson's arrival.  Our childbirth class teacher mentioned bringing little items the baby had worn home from the hospital so Sadie would get used to the scent.  She followed that up with the helpful tip to not bring home anything with blood home, or the dog may become aggressive.  Thanks, lady.  Real re-assuring.  Well, to say the least, in our generous 48-hour stay at the hospital, we just didn't have time to bring home the various baby items to Sadie.  Plus, I'm pretty sure I left Carson in the onesie the hospital put her in for the entire 48 hours.  When I finally got the nerve to introduce Carson to Sadie, I swaddled Carson in a soft, pink blanket, and gently took her out to the back porch where Sadie was anxiously wondering why she instantly became an outside dog.  I bent down slowly, and said "Sadie, meet your little sister Carson!"  I held my breath... Sadie snorted on Carson as she sniffed, spraying her with dog snot; then, looked quickly at the back door, then me, pleading, "Can we PLEASE go inside now?"  Ah, memories.

I can't blame Sadie for her lack of interest in Carson.  Because of Carson, I'm pretty sure I only fed Sadie once a week instead of her usual twice a day, all walks came to a complete stop for months, and I considered it a good day if the toilet wasn't her water bowl.

Sadie has been a trooper throughout this adventure.  She got up with me during EVERY (and I do mean every) feeding, no matter what time.  She is my Hoover vacuum.  In fact, I just let her in from the backyard so she and my mom's dog, Sophie, could tackle some chicken fingers and fries that littered the hardwood floors.  Instantly clean - less than a minute!  The same is true for Carson's high chair.  That thing is spotless before I can even get Carson's bib off!

So, this is for you Sadie.  You were there for me when everyone else was sleeping, or out of town.  You always are forgiving, even when I take my frustrations out on you.  You clean up messes, let Carson tug on your tail and ears, and never stopped loving us when we decided to give you a little sister without asking!  One thing's for sure, Carson has fit right in when it comes to loving Sadie.  They are without a doubt, BFF's.

2 comments:

  1. This warms my heart. God bless Sadie and all the big sister/brother dogs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the brutal honesty, Court! But seriously, I remember when Sadie used to lay on your tummy before Carson was born...bffs from the start!

    ReplyDelete