Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mom Guilt

Mom guilt is a phenomenon to me.  It's another one of those "jewels" that just seem to appear when you become a mom.  Mine was instant.  I felt like no one else was responsible for taking care of my daughter but me.  I wasn't nervous about anyone else taking care of her, I just felt guilty.  In fact, I have learned that if I ever do have another baby, I will ask - no demand - help as soon as possible, and not feel guilty about it!  I just felt as if Carson was a choice that I made, and she is my responsibility.  I still feel this way at times, and that makes everything more difficult.

Another form of mom guilt comes when you just let your baby cry.  Hey, it happens.  I even read on a website how parents were confessing to certain things, and one mom said, "Sometimes, when the baby is crying in the crib, we close the door, each get a glass of wine, and go on the porch."  I instantly fell in love with this woman.  Thank GOD it's not only me!

In fact, moms unite when it comes to mom guilt.  Me, being the realist, has no problem confessing to leaving my kid in front of the TV for an hour or so.  Yet, I have found that a lot of moms don't admit their mom guilt behaviors unless another mom confesses first.  Well, mommies, I'm here to tell you - I am NOT anywhere near a perfect mom, but I work my butt off, so if Yo Gabba Gabba keeps my kid quiet for 23 minutes SO BE IT!  I'll cherish those 23 minutes, and get on with my life.  Something else I'm not letting myself feel guilty for: I'm sending my kid to daycare for the summer.  Hell, I'm paying for it!  I'm taking that little chick every chance I get!  Even if I come home and watch Bravo for 8 hours, I'll be relaxed, therefore, being a better mom, wife, and generally happier person.   Trust me, if mom isn't happy - NO ONE is happy.  Ask my husband.

I'm still working on my mom guilt.  I feel it will be a lifelong battle.  Right when I feel I've made a breakthrough, it creeps in and rears its ugly head.  I just try to tell myself that no one is perfect, and hopefully Carson won't remember the first two years of her life...here's hoping! (I'm kidding!)

No comments:

Post a Comment