Thursday, April 29, 2010

Multitasking

When I became a mom, I also inherited the "multitasking" gene.  I think it sneaks in there as you wait for your milk to come in.  I have an uncanny ability to make the most of my time.  It all started with the microwave steam bags.  When I was in super-crazy-mom-mode, a.k.a. "The first born, newborn stage," I would steam clean and  every single baby item that even thought about coming into contact with an non-sanitized surface.  I would place the items in the steam bag with water and place them in the microwave for 3 minutes.  You wouldn't believe what I could accomplish in those 3 magical minutes.  I would sweep, wipe the counters, make more bottles, fill the dog's water bowl, take out the trash, and loaded/unloaded the dishwasher, all while bouncing a fussy baby on my hip.  Then, I carefully picked the bag from the microwave, slammed the door shut with my elbow, and masterfully poured the hot water out of the bag while keeping the scalding hot stem away from by baby's face.  Talent, I know.

I also noticed how the gene kicked in while I was driving.  Safe?  Not so much.  Efficient?  You betcha.  I have plugged in a bottle warmer, dug for a bottle from the diaper bag, strapped it in the warmer, plugged it in the outlet, while changing the radio station and checking my blind spot.  Ok, for all you "ten and twoers" I never took BOTH hands off the wheel, and I always make sure I'm completely stopped before I go digging for a passy around the floor boards.  But, don't think I haven't completely unbuckled at a red light, climbed into the back seat, and recovered that little piece of plastic and latex GOLD to plug my screaming kid!  Hey, with the multitasking gene, you can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment